Replacing your roof is a major investment. You want to make sure you take time to research and find the best roofing company that you can trust to do the job right. Unfortunately, roofing is also one of the most often complained about industries, so finding a good roofer is not always that easy. Here are some steps you can take to make sure you find a quality roofing company.
Check Online Reviews of Roofers
Homestars.com is one of the best places to find reviews of Calgary roofing companies. Look most closely at the negative reviews. It is possible to fake reviews so if they look too good to be true, they just might be. Roofing companies that respond to criticisms and solve customer problems online are likely take care of you well when they are working on your roof. Other sites like GuildQuality, Yelp.ca and even Google and be good sources of reviews as well.
First hand experience from a friend that has recently had a roof replaced will always be one of the best ways to find a reputable roofing company. Make sure you ask a lot of questions to make sure your friend is happy with the roof and the service received.
Roofing Supplier Reviews
If you know the type of roof you’d like to have installed, getting a recommendation from the supplier is also a good bet. Roofing companies like GAF, Malarkey and Euroshield will often have certified roofing partners or can recommend a good roofing contractor.
Narrowing Down the List of Roofers
Once you’ve got about 5 or 6 promising roofing companies that you might want to hire, do some more research to make sure they look reputable.
- Visit their websites. Do they have a professional and updated website? Having a pretty website doesn’t mean your going to get a perfect roof, but it is an indication of the quality of the company you are dealing with.
- What’s their address? While their are plenty of reputable independent roofing contractors running businesses out of their trucks, you should probably stick to a roofer with a physical address that you can visit in case anything goes wrong.
- How big is the company? Visit the About page of the roofer to see how many employees, vehicles, etc. they have. Bigger is not always better, but it’s good to go with someone that looks like they have the experience and people to do the job right.
- What are they like to deal with? Was the salesperson you talked to helpful and trustworthy? Do they answer their phones promptly when you call? Were they professional and punctual? Look for all the little cues that will give you an indication of the quality of service you would get if you hired them.
- Do they give a written quote? Don’t give any money or deposits until you’ve gotten a written quote that you are happy with. Don’t go with the first company you meet with either. Compare some prices and evaluate different roofers.
Getting a new roof on your home is a major purchase so don’t rush into anything. If you feel you are being pressured by the roofing salesperson, that is a very good indication that you should go with another company. Spend lots of time talking to the salesperson to make sure that you get the roof most suited for your situation. The cheapest roof is rarely a good purchase, you don’t want to break the bank either. With some due diligence, you can find a quality roofing company.